WHICH ANTENNA WIRE FOR SHORTWAVE LISTENING?
WHICH ANTENNA WIRE FOR SHORTWAVE LISTENING? I often see questions asked in Facebook groups and other forums regarding whether different types of antenna wire make any difference to the reception of shortwave signals at the receiver. For example, is copper wire better than aluminium, better than steel, etc? Another question often raised concerns the diameter of the wire used, i.e. would a thicker wire pick up more signal? I have to say that, in many informal tests of hanging different types of antennas over the years, I have found no measurable difference in the kind of wire used or in the diameter of the wire. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in signal strength or quality of reception. My admittedly unscientific tests show no conclusive findings, so it is something that I just don't worry about. Any wire type or size will work for shortwave listening purposes. This is good news because we don't need to spend heaps of money on expensive wire. There is no...
One of the engineers at the station confirmed with me that there are just the three rhombics on the property. The station does a good job getting a signal out with this setup.
ReplyDeleteHe also noted that he had to turn the transmitters off before he could fly his quadcopter due to the extremely high RF in the air! Otherwise he would lose control of the copter once it got to a certain height.....and send it tumbling to the ground!