WHICH ANTENNA WIRE FOR SHORTWAVE LISTENING? I often see questions asked in Facebook groups and other forums regarding whether different types of antenna wire make any difference to the reception of shortwave signals at the receiver. For example, is copper wire better than aluminium, better than steel, etc? Another question often raised concerns the diameter of the wire used, i.e. would a thicker wire pick up more signal? I have to say that, in many informal tests of hanging different types of antennas over the years, I have found no measurable difference in the kind of wire used or in the diameter of the wire. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in signal strength or quality of reception. My admittedly unscientific tests show no conclusive findings, so it is something that I just don't worry about. Any wire type or size will work for shortwave listening purposes. This is good news because we don't need to spend heaps of money on expensive wire. There is no...
Nice to see your shack and antennas Rob. Very nice environment there. 73, Bas
ReplyDeleteThank you Bas. One day, I'll do a video of inside the radio shack! Best wishes, Rob
DeleteIntroduce your equipments also. 73 de VU2UT
DeleteGhoseCoy - Of course!....eventually. 73 old friend!
DeleteHi, Rob. Thanks for sharing. It was nice to see your set-up. I am moving from a 1.6 acre lot in the country to a small 24th floor condo in Chicago. Most of my DX will be done from the car, although I plan to install a 20-meter Isotron ham antenna on my terrace. Hopefully, the height will make a difference. I also use a Wellbrook ALA1530-AL2 loop antenna for most of my shortwave DX. I enjoyed the video and like your report. 73 MIKE N9OVQ
ReplyDeleteHi Mike, thanks for the feedback on the video. Good luck with the big move from the country to the condo - hope it goes well for you. I have not used an Isotron antenna, and reviews of it appear to be mixed - some love it, some are disappointed. From some reports, a few people appear to have had trouble tuning it. I guess it depends on the expectations of the user! However, the Wellbrook should work well for listening at the condo. Cheers and 73, Rob VK3BVW
Delete